Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Love as a religion

The Video: Love is my Religion
Ziggy Marley came to visit a city near me in late 2006 and I, who had not heard of him before, saw the flyer and naturally, googled him. As one would expect, I found his song, "Love Is My Religion" on one of the sites that I stumbled on. I then googled it again, this time, looking for the lyrics to the song and the music video. I have found this song to be truly inspiring and interesting. Since I was younger, I have looked into and researched many different faiths and religions. When I heard this song, it made me realize how insignificant religion can be when contrasted/compared to LOVE. Love is the essence of what makes one, as a human, happy. I feel that religion can be used to gain power and influence over fellow people, but it can also be used to provide hope and comfort to those who are in need of such emotions. I hope that this piece of music can be significant to yourself.

LOVE IS MY RELIGION - Ziggy Marley
Love is my religion, Love is my religion, Love is my religion
I'll take you to the temple tonight

All my days I've been searching, to find out what this life is worth
through the books and bibles of time I've made up my mind
I don't condemn, I don't convert, this is a calling have you heard
bring all the lovers to the fold, cause no one is gonna lose their soul

Love is my religion, Love is my religion, Love is my religion
hey you can take it or leave it, and you don't have to believe it

I don't want to fight, hey let's go fly a kite
there's nothing that we can't cure, and I'll keep you in my arms for sure
so don't let nobody stop us, free spirits have to soar
with you I share the gift, the gift that we now know oh oh oh

( Chorus )

Well I'm done searching now, I found out what this life is worth
not in the books that I find, but by searching my mind
I don't condemn, I don't convert
this is the calling have you heard, bring all the lovers to the fold
no one is gonna lose their soul

( Chorus )

3 comments:

slynnard said...

the song has a good message, mos def. =)

Kit said...

Love is a key message in the early Christian church.... From Paul's writings (maybe another way of saying that love is his religion):

1 Corinthians 13

If I speak with the languages of men and of angels, but don't have love, I have become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.

If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but don't have love, I am nothing.

If I dole out all my goods to feed the poor, and if I give my body to be burned, but don't have love, it profits me nothing.

Love is patient and is kind; love doesn't envy. Love doesn't brag, is not proud, doesn't behave itself inappropriately, doesn't seek its own way, is not provoked, takes no account of evil;

doesn't rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;

bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails.

jack said...

Hey James. I think you've got it right on. Focus on love. Practice it. It's not easy sometimes.

kit's Jack